Sunday, May 26, 2013


Checking out Hells Canyon-Saturday, May 11, 2013
 

We are up early today as we want to go check out Hell’s Canyon before the hottest part of the day.  We drove back over to Huntington and took off up Snake River Road.  The road turns to gravel just after the campground we had driven to yesterday.  Since it is the weekend there are a ton of people out on the river in their boats.  I guess this is an excellent place for cat fishing. In fact there are signs all over announcing a cat fish derby for Memorial weekend. I can only imagine how crowded this place is then.  Jim is doing the driving today, as he always does when we are in the jeep.  He makes me a little nervous now and then when I see him gawking out his side window rather than out the windshield.  I do have to admit he has never once strayed off course while gawking. The view of the river is amazing.  For about 20 miles the road winds along maybe fifty feet above the river before it climbs up to the top of the hills that make up the sides of the canyon. With a name like Hell’s Canyon I had expected the edges of the canyon to be more cliff like than the rolling hills we are seeing. Out the road about fifteen or so miles we came across a very tiny cemetery, I had to make Jim stop for picture taking and will post the pictures on Find a Grave when I have wifi again. For those of you not into Genealogy, “Find a Grave” is a web site for posting pictures of headstones to help people locate graves of ancestors.

We got back to the MH about 3:00 pm.  There have been some high clouds today and it didn’t get quit as hot as it was supposed to, only 91 degrees today.  We sat outside for awhile after a lunch of cottage cheese and mandarin oranges.  Thought we would be able to watch all the little critters but they aren’t out running around today. Maybe the little children that are camped next door are keeping them away.  Yesterday we saw a bunny, squirrels, and some type of little ground squirrel.  They are little tiny varmints that look a bit like a hamster, except they are a little longer. I will have to look them up on-line when I have wifi. 

For dinner we shared a baked potato and a steak, cooked on our new little BBQ grill…Yummy!  It’s cooling off much earlier tonight so I think I will drag Jim out for a walk around the park.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment